The glorious quatorze juillet in the Computer lab, we had >250 people in attendance at the Raspberry Jam, and TeachMeet, to bring toegether raspberry owners, wannabes, hackers and observers, and then to discuss specifics (e.g. lesson plans) for using Rasberry Pis and related tech for teaching the Computing at School curriculum.
For me, highlights included
1. Demo of RiscOS on Pi
2. School governer showing how to democratize ICT/CS in the school by embedding it in everything (using free and/or opensource s/w only, and no geek/operator/ICT technicians at all)
3. A teaching who created over a dozen Digital Leaders to teach computing out of her own 12 year old pupils – these kids to stand up classes and tutorials for parents – just awesome.
4. two talks on literally hundreds of projects out there to carry out in D&T or other non-directly CS classes
5. How to teach healthcare through computers
6. Plenty of hints on first steps in programming
7. Finally Pi foundation folks showed up with 200 devices for people at the event. Also announced various new things (e.g. camera board should be ready Real Soon Now)…
A lot of fun, I thought. Judge for yourself from the video:
One of Leon’s vid of the Zoo talk – excelent!